Plants and Trees That Can Be Toxic to Pets

Lillies in a garden, toxic to petsPlants and trees add beauty to our homes and gardens but might be deadly once ingested or chewed by our pets. We all know that cats and dogs often have a penchant for eating strange things. Unfortunately, our lovely plants and flowers are not an exemption. Whether these are houseplants, garden plants or flowers from the florist- they can provide a tempting diversion for pets, and might pose a serious threat on your animal’s health. Listed below are some of the common plants and trees which can be toxic to pets.

Lilies

All types of lilies can be potentially fatal for your pet once ingested or chewed upon by your pet. Different types of lilies such as Peruvian, Peace and Calla Lilies contains chemicals that can cause mouth, tongue and pharynx irritation. Other types of lilies such as Tiger, Day, Easter, Asiatic and Japanese Show Lilies are all highly toxic to cats. A single ingestion could result in severe kidney failure.

Daffodils

Daffodils contains a potentially dangerous toxin called lycorine. Ingestion of its bulbs or flowers can cause severe vomiting, abdominal pain and even possible cardiac arrhythmias.

Amaryllis

Popular during holidays, pretty amaryllis can be toxic both for your cats and dogs. Especially the ones with bulbs, they contain the most toxins. Be careful in placing them at home for it might cause your pet to vomit, hypersalivate and experience depression anorexia and diarrhea.

Aloe Vera

Aloe Vera are commonly known to relieve burns. But did you know that it is highly toxic to pets? If you are keeping these plants at home, make sure they are out of sight and smell on your pets. Ingestion of aloe Vera can cause your pet to vomit, depressed or cause diarrhea, anorexia and even change in urine color.

Oleander

A popular outdoor shrub, oleander are known for its evergreen qualities and extremely delicate flowers. Be careful though in placing them at home, for they can be extremely dangerous once ingested and might poison pets. Ingestion of oleander can cause severe vomiting, slows heart beat rate and worse, possible death.

YouTube Preview Image

When placing plants or trees on your home, make sure you know which plants are most deadly to avoid your pets from getting into these poisonous flowers and plants. If you notice these symptoms on your pet, make sure to seek immediate help from your Tulsa veterinarian to prevent further damage on your pet’s health.