Common Foods Toxic to Dogs in Tulsa OK

foods toxic to dogsYou are probably familiar with the fact that one of the most common known foods toxic to dogs is chocolate, however there are numerous other toxic foods. Some other foods to keep away from your pets include raisins and grapes, onions, macadamia nuts and products containing xylitol (an artificial sweetener).

Foods Toxic to Dogs

Chocolate
Lots of people understand that chocolate is bad for dogs. The toxic representative in chocolate is theobromine. It’s in all type of chocolate, even white chocolate. The most harmful kinds, though, are dark chocolate, chocolate mulch, and unsweetened baking chocolate. Eating chocolate, even just licking the icing bowl, can cause a pet to throw up, have diarrhea, and be exceedingly thirsty. It can also cause unusual heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and death.

Persimmons, Peaches, and Plums
The problem with these fruits is the seeds or pits. The seeds from persimmons can trigger inflammation of the small intestine in dogs. They can likewise cause digestive tract blockage. Blockage is also a possibility if a pet dog eats the pit from a peach or plum. Plus, peach and plum pits include cyanide, which is toxic to humans and toxic to dogs. The distinction is humans know not to eat them. Dogs do not.

Candy and Gum
Candy, gum, tooth paste, baked goods, and some diet foods are sweetened with xylitol. Xylitol can cause an increase in the insulin circulating through your dog’s body. That can cause your dog’s blood glucose to drop and can likewise cause liver failure. Preliminary signs and symptoms consist of throwing up, lethargy, and loss of coordination. Ultimately, the canine might have seizures. Liver failure can occur within just a few days.

Alcohol
Beer, liquor, wine, foods containing alcohol– none of it’s good for your pet dog. That’s because alcohol has the exact same impact on a canine’s liver and brain that it has on people. But it takes far less to do its damage. Just a little can trigger vomiting, looseness of the bowels, main nerves depression, issues with coordination, problem breathing, coma, even death. And the smaller sized the dog, the higher the effect.

Macadamia Nuts
Dogs ought to not eat macadamia nuts or foods containing macadamia nuts since they can be fatal. As few as six raw or roasted macadamia nuts can make a dog ill. Signs and symptoms of poisoning consist of muscle tremors, weak point or paralysis of the hindquarters, vomiting, elevated body temperature level, and fast heart rate. Eating chocolate with the nuts will certainly make signs and symptoms worse, potentially resulting in death.

Coffee, Tea, and Other Caffeine
Caffeine in large adequate quantities can be fatal for a pet dog. And, there is no antidote. Signs of  caffeine poisoning include uneasyness, fast breathing, heart palpitations, muscle shakes, fits, and blood loss. In addition to tea and coffee – including beans and grounds– caffeine can be  discovered in cocoa, chocolate, soda pops, and stimulant drinks such as Red Bull. It’s likewise in some cold medications and pain reliever.

Avocado
No matter how good you believe the guacamole is, you should not give it to your canine. Avocados contain a substance called persin. It’s harmless for people who aren’t allergic. However large amounts might be toxic to dogs. If you take place to be growing avocados at home, keep your pet dog away from the plants. Persin is in the leaves, seed, and bark, along with in the fruit.

Onions and Garlic
Onions and garlic in all types– powdered, raw, prepared, or dehydrated– can ruin a pet dog’s red blood cells, resulting in anemia. That can happen even with the onion powder discovered in some infant food. A periodic little dosage is probably OK. But just eating a big quantity when or eating smaller sized amounts regularly can cause poisoning. Symptoms of anemia consist of weakness, vomiting, little interest in food, dullness, and shortness of breath.

Grapes and Raisins
Grapes and raisins have frequently been used as treats with for dogs. However it’s not a good idea. Although it isn’t clear why, grapes and raisins can trigger kidney failure in dogs. And simply a small amount can make a pet ill. Repeated vomiting is an early indication. Within a day, the pet dog will become lethargic and depressed. The very best prevention is to keep grapes and raisins off counters and other places your pet can reach.